What is summer without a much loved dessert like an Apple Crisp with ice cream?!! This Crisp is a much lighter spin on the traditional Apple Crisp. Though, it is definitely not lighter on taste! It is so so good and if you know me…EASY! I don’t do complicated cooking and easy is always a prerequisite along with clean, simple ingredients. I think that is the best part of this Crisp, aside from how good it is, I knew all the ingredients. The list is short compared to say a store bought Apple Pie or Crisp. I had also never made anything using Almond Flour/Meal. When has anything almond not been good?
This recipe is Vegan and if needed can be made Gluten Free with Gluten Free rolled oats. We did top with coconut milk ice cream*. I am just not good enough yet with ‘food photography’ to get a picture before the ice cream was everywhere, hence the container sitting in the background. :) It is also really good just by itself!
Apple pie or apple crisp is definitely in my top 3 favorite desserts. This is practically guilt free with this healthier version. I am so excited to have found this to make on occasion. You have to try this crisp, you will LOVE it!!
Recipe adapted from damyhealth.com
- 3 Large Organic Apples (Peeled and Sliced or Diced)
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice (pour over apples to keep from browning after sliced)
- 1½ Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 4 Tbsp Honey ( You can also use Maple Syrup or agave)
- ⅓ Cup Almond Flour
- ½ Cup Rolled Oats (can substitute Gluten Free Rolled Oats)
- ½ Tsp Baking Soda (I use Aluminum Free)
- ½ Tsp Baking Powder (again Aluminum Free)
- ⅛ tsp or Pinch of Salt (I use celtic sea salt)
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl toss sliced (I even went smaller and diced them almost) apples, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1 tbsp of honey.
- Lightly oil an 8 x 8 glass baking dish. Add in you're apple mixture and bake for 10 minutes.
- While the apples are baking mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl. You do not need to melt down your coconut oil, just break it up and mix it in as well as you can.
- After baking the apples for 10 minutes remove them from the oven. Sprinkle and spread the topping mixture over the apples (I did this with my hands to get it evenly covered).
- Place back in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. The Apple Crisp is done when it is golden brown.
*Try the homemade coconut cream ice cream along with this Apple Crisp posted on Damyhealth.com. I have not tried it, but with all the latest information on carrageenan in store bought milk substitutes, I will be! I had some coconut milk ice cream I wanted to finish.