With the cooler weather descending upon us, soup just sounds so good lately! Here is one of our family’s faves, Italian Meatball Soup.
I make this with our homemade chicken broth and have been using these new meatballs I found. My husband prefers this with orzo pasta, but I don’t always have that on hand. For the frozen mixed veggies, I use an organic blend of peas, corn, and carrots… but you could use whatever sounds good! At any given time, I usually have all these ingredients in my pantry and freezer, so this is a great last minute meal. And it’s quick to make!
- 1 can diced tomatoes with onion and garlic, undrained
- 1 can of broth (or about 2 cups homemade broth)
- 1-1/2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 package frozen cooked meatballs
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- ½ cup dry orzo or other pasta (optional)
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large saucepan, stir together undrained tomatoes, broth, water, and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil.
- Add frozen meatballs, uncooked pasta (if using), and frozen vegetables. Return to boiling, reduce heat.
- Return to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until pasta and vegetables are tender.
- Top individual servings with cheese, if desired.