Here is the recipe I used, adapted from allrecipes.com
|Slow Cooker Refried Beans|
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 2 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
- ½ fresh jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 or large pinch of cumin (optional)–I did include this
- 6 1/2 cups water
- Combine all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook on HIGH for 8 hours. Remove the onion chunks and mash the beans with a potato masher. So so Easy!
The amount of water I used varied from the first time I made these. This is a personal preference on texture. I only did 6 cups of water the first time and the beans were pretty thick when you mash at the end of the 8 hours on high. I had to add water later to get them to a softer consistency. I recommend at least 6 1/2 to even 7 cups of water. When mashed it will be a bit soupy but then as soon as you turn off the slow cooker and let them cool, they will be the perfect consistency.