I think part of what makes it so good is that I use homemade chicken broth to boil the whole grains - it makes the pilaf rich, creamy and oh-so-flavorful! And the only sodium in the pilaf is however much you decide you want. Let me tell you…it’s BETTER than the boxed ones!!! Not even joking.
Here is the recipe…
|Whole Grain Pilaf with Vegetables|
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 onion or large shallot
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth (I use homemade broth)
- 1 cup Archer Farms Whole Grain Medley (or other hearty grain mix)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dry dill or ground sage (I used sage, but I think either would be great)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt butter over medium-high heat in a saucepan. Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and whole grains. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 25 to 30 minutes until liquid is absorbed and grains are tender. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and sage. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
So easy and delish…enjoy!! :)