Especially around this time of year with the cool, crisp air and leaves falling, I love cozying up to a warm cup of tea or coffee and a baked treat. I have a great recipe for some super healthy sweet potato muffins that even my 1-year-old likes! The warm flavors of cinnamon and nutmeg are the perfect pairing for this tasty fall favorite. The recipe below has been adapted from Homemade Baby Food Recipes.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potato
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons oil (I used olive oil but you can use coconut oil, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons dried fruit, chopped (optional - I used Trader Joe's Golden Berry Blend)
- ¼ cup milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the oats, whole wheat flour, baking soda and spices together in a bowl.
- Add the mashed sweet potato, brown sugar, oil, dried fruit, milk and egg together until the ingredients are all completely moistened - but do not over-mix.
- Spoon the mixture into muffin tins and bake until firm and golden, about 15 to 20 minutes.
If you have leftovers, you can put them in the freezer and thaw whenever you are ready for a nice, warm treat!